It’s end of a challenging year with high numbers of new Covid-19 cases every day and expected to go even higher through the holiday season as so many folks struggle with isolation and indulge in “just a small gathering” of family and/or friends. Covid-positives are getting closer and closer with a few close friends’ family and my own brother all dealing with the virus. But, the planner that I am is looking ahead with a Word of the Year (WOTY) choice, a 21 for 2021 Year Plan, and even a Winter Activities focus for what to do while staying socially distant.
As I was crafting my 2021 lists, I realized that I have multiple ways to look at my vision. I have lists set up by my Life Domains, by my list by Retirement Lifestyle Vision Statement (active, connected, creative, contemplative), and by my values. Yes, I am a planner, I have a high need for structure, and I love lists. But am I doing an over-kill? What I realized is that by rewriting my vision and plans in various ways, I am rewiring my brain to think, “this is truth”. Plus it reinforces three messages I need to keep hearing: I can do this (have courage), it is what it is (be non-judgmental), and I am enough (self acceptance).
2021 WOTY – COURAGE
As I thought about the number 21, it’s the age of adulthood in our culture. After a year of working on releasing self-limiting beliefs (a work in progress) and putting Positive Psychology into practice (also a work in progress), I felt a need to boost my belief that I can do this. I was inspired by the following quote:
It takes courage to grow up and become who you really are. E.E. Cummings
And so my WOTY is COURAGE — Find the courage to fully live the life I envision and become who I was meant to be.
- The courage to do the things I fear.
- The courage to not let my actions be influenced by others expectations.
- The courage to release resentments and to come to a place of acceptance.
- The courage to release my need for external validation and appreciate my own applause.
- The courage to accept the messiness of life, to lower expectations (of myself and others), and accept it is what it is.
- The courage to appreciate my individuality and to know I am enough.
It’s a continuation of my personal growth and hopefully inspirational as the year progresses, we restart a more normal lifestyle, and finalize our move.
If you’re interested in finding your own WOTY and need some help, Susannah has a wonderful workbook (see link here). I’ve used her approach in previous years and found it really helpful.
21 for 2021 ACTION PLAN
Finding the COURAGE to fully live the life I envision and become who I was meant to be involves continuing to Put Positive Psychology into Practice (see 11 best practices blog link here), continuing to shift my Self-Limiting Beliefs, and executing the Big Move. These 21 items also encompass my Retirement Lifestyle Vision Statement (active, connected, creative, contemplative) and some growth insights from my Enneagram exploration.
I have also determined I will only track three things: new things, books read, and new recipes tried. While I admire others who track many things (walks, yoga, exercise, classes, projects, etc.), I realized the three things I track all bring me joy. Tracking these three things is NOT about achieving the final goal number, but enjoying the journey and keeping track so I can reminisce about the fun things I’m doing!
21 for 2021:
- Savor new experiences (track 101 new things goal for 2020)
- Savor culinary experiences – Creative cooking exploration, signature dish, new recipes (track 52 goal for 2020), explore outdoor dining options
- Savor – Update Jolts of Joy & implement
- Daily Gratitude/Morning Journal
- Boost Love of Learning (value)– 5 on-line courses, learn to play chess, learn about Florida Native plants, books read (track 52 goal for 2020),
- Invest in Experiences – plan 2-3 day trips/season, plan date nights, plan post-Covid Tourist in Own Town
- Boost Time in Nature – beach walks, nature picture taking
- Be Active – Get cardio/steps in most days – walks, bike rides, Zumba
- Be Active with regular yoga (3-4 days/week)
- Intentional Connections – zoom wine/coffee dates, mid-week foodies, phone calls, IRL walk & talks, book club, blogging
- Strength Activation – Create opportunities for substantive conversations
- Strength Activation – Continue & build more creative pursuits – writing, cooking, crosswords, coloring, picture taking, cross-stitch, craft kits, other
- Strength Activation – Have more Courage (WOTY) – Face my Fears, Shift my Beliefs, and Activate the “Someday I Wills”
- Activate Enneagram learning for personal growth via awareness & affirmations about release & courage
- Do Seasonal Activities, including seasonal foods and fun experiences
- Envision the Future – craft future scenarios, finish resentment work (contemplation), pick next (post-Covid) trip
- Complete the Florida Big Move – plan actual move, sell house, do transition stuff, relationship alignment discussion, new state financial paperwork
- Florida interior work including room/closet organization
- Florida exterior work including portico and patio design
- Explore Philanthropy in Florida
- Celebrate the “wins”
A CLOISTERED WINTER – Winter Activities
Focus this winter is a bit different than past bucket lists. With a continued socially distanced lifestyle, my winter list contains some of my regular to-do & maintenance things, some seasonal favorites (holiday events and winter foods), and some new things to try. I had fun crafting it into a Winter Activity list!
And there is my transition into a new year – WOTY, Yearly Plan, and a Winter Activity List! Whew… now to get going on it all!
Do you have a WOTY? A 21 for 2021 List? Winter Activity plans? Please share!