For the past few years to keep my curiosity sparked, I’ve set a goal to try new things. I first started with 52 as my first yearly target (one per week) and easily hit that goal. Yes, trying new restaurants was a big part of that number, but I still did lots of other new things as well. Then, the past couple of years I upped the goal to 101 New and/or Fun things. With isolation happening, that goal might be challenging to achieve this year, but I’m just over half way to the goal (#60) at just over the half year point.
Looking back on some of those new things, here are my favorites:
- Waking up New Year’s Day to watch sunrise over the water in our new beach house.
- Tim coining the term “outdoor-able” at a craft fair as I looked for new cute outdoor art for the new beach house. I’m claiming it as new since I then used it repeatedly all spring.
- A series of new snowbird activities, pre-Covid-19 – Shell Key visit, St Pete Art walk, biking to dinner (from new house), going to new movie theater, first dinner party in new house.
- Using the jet tub – a new luxury item in new beach house!
- Binge watching True-Blood. An oldie I had never seen and so different than the books. Also, first ever binge watch.
- Having the beach house garage built, moving things into new house and new garage (and all 60+ to do list items that resulted), and selling the beach cottage. OK, these were not fun new things, but lots of work and a huge sense of accomplishment.
- Mini-cooper adventure weekend. When you need to socially distance, drive around the countryside in a bright red mini-cooper convertible for the weekend!
And here are some of the new things I’ve learned since we isolated ourselves:
- On-line yoga (Yoga with Adriene) – I do yoga now 4-5 days every week!
- Learning to Zoom, and then teaching my Mom how to do it. Also taught Mom, virtually, how to use YouTube. Am using Zoom for my foodie club dinners (Take-out-Thursday!) and doing Zumba again on Zoom.
- Photo digitization – a project that’s been on to-do list for 5 years.
- Pantry cooking and new recipes
- Kindle – yes, I know. But I never did it… and still prefer real books.
- On-Line classes – some good (Science of Happiness – link), and some not so good. Am in a new series now, learning just for the sake of learning (also a new thing for me).
- Not sure if it’s always a fun thing, but I have learned to use on-line media more, from on-line cultural events (definitely fun) to watching You-tube videos (too often about the news – not fun).
What new things have you done recently? Or what new things have you learned in your time of isolation?