As I approached my birthday, it was another event that reminds me to pause and look at how I’m living. My retirement life vision has me “living a healthy lifestyle”. Recently I told someone that I knew of a couple whose life vision was “50% fitness and 50% fun” and they reacted, “How could someone exercise 50% of the time?” It made me realize I think about fitness, healthy living, or total wellness a bit differently!
So here’s my birthday Wellness Check:
- Eat Well – Eat real food, in moderation (smaller portions), with more fruit & veggies (Have fruit available on the counter and chips hidden away in the pantry!). I still need to boost drinking more water and be more careful about overeating when eating out.
- Move Well – Walk more (until past couple of weeks my FitBit said I was averaging close to 7K steps/3 stories a day…need to get back to that!), continue weekly yoga, and find new zumba/cardio outlet. I need to make the added in strength training a habit and do more Walk & Talks.
- Think Well – I love my journaling, blogging, crosswords puzzles, and reading for enjoyment (I joined 2 book clubs this year!). I also spend time on visioning, spirituality exploration, and I am restarting my memoir work.
- Be Well – I regularly do emotional monitoring, gratitude listing, and have quiet time (especially outdoors). And I’m continuing to try meditation.
- Connect Well – I’ve learned that my gift to friends (and hubby) is to continue to be the designated planner! I plan the date nights, the dinner dates, and mini-adventures. Next up are a mid-week foodie adventure, a Reds game, a cooking class, and a local soccer match.
- Play Well – My areas of non-productive fun include live theater shows, craft shows, gallery walks, farmer’s markets/boutique food stores, and mini-adventures. I’m tracking my 101 New and/or Fun Things this year; I’m at 90 mid-year so it looks like I’ll surpass that goal. I’m trying to start up some creative exploration as well.
- Stay Well – I plan and do all the check-ups/health screenings including periodontics, dermatologist, eye doctor, and oncologist. And I do regular financial check-ups too.
What does total wellness look like for you?
Picture Credit: Playing with Canva!