Why a book? I was inspired by a couple of colleagues through the years who published their own books (Joanna Z and Mike T), encouraged by many, many friends who insisted I had it in me (too numerous to name!), had rediscovered a love of writing as I went through my own retirement transition (hence a blog), realized a desire to continue to be the “sage” I was at work, and found a deep need to have an identity statement (published author). Therefore, I crafted a book about retirement transition that shares my journey in a way to help others.
So much of retirement planning focuses on the financial planning, providing guidance on investment balance, cash flow management, and how much should you save. But very little talks about How-to-Define the hopefully many days after the big day. What about all the non-financial elements of retirement? I read many other books but didn’t find one that really guided me in figuring out what this next post-career life stage could be.
As I’ve learned in my own transition, here is no longer any cookie-cutter vision for retirement life; the old paradigms of retirement are falling away for new 21st Century Retirement Lifestyles. The options can feel endless; and some people will just tell you what you should do (without knowing if it’s right for you). Unfortunately there is no perfect list of “Five Things To Do” for a happy retirement. So, how do you create YOUR best retirement?
Retirement Transition is designed to walk you through creating your own 21st Century Retirement Lifestyle. This book outlines a How-To process based on a proven Innovation Process and has many practical tools and exercises to:
- Articulate your high priority core VALUES.
- Know which SKILLS and STRENGTHS you want/have in this next life stage.
- Understand what MOTIVATES you and what INTERESTS you.
- Clarify the important ROLES you will have in this next life stage.
- Generate ideas and insights into your future using a holistic LIFE DOMAINS framework.
- Craft a LIFE VISION statement and have joint “me, you, we” conversations, if needed.
- Explore POSSIBILITIES and learn how to CHOOSE which to focus on.
- Begin ACTIVATING your 21st Century Retirement Lifestyle Vision.
- Understand your personal BARRIERS to getting new things or new habits started.
I’ve covered many of these topics in my blogging, and a few blog posts are reproduced in the book. But the book has a lot more – suggested tools, exercises, and worksheets to fill out so you can design your best retirement. As I’ve quoted in the book, your retirement lifestyle will happen, by design of by default. I recommend doing it by design!
Please check my book out, for yourself… or for a friend who might be starting their retirement transition journey. Yes, this is a blatant self-promotion!