I realized recently I’ve put a lot of effort into planning this year… maybe more than any planner needs to be doing! I have my word of the year (SOAR), a 52 New Things in 2018 goal, and seasonal bucket lists (summer action plan). With all this planning, how successful am I in activating the plans and achieving the goals? Am I SOAR-ing – savoring life daily, being optimistic, activating mini-adventures and healthy life pursuits, and being resilient in my cancer recovery? Am I trying new things outside my comfort zone? Am I having fun, doing things I want to do with people I want to spend time with?
52 New Things in 2018
While not that much has been out of the comfort zone, there has been a lot of new things going on.
- New Restaurants – My Mid-Week Foodie Friends, some Compatible Couples, and even Hubby have all gladly participated in trying 20 (!) new restaraunts with me this year.
- New Experiences/Events – I am up to 12 new experiences/events this year, from foodie to artsy to stay-cation types of things. It’s been fun to plan mini-adventures with hubby and/or friends. I am feeling active as these are in addition to my “normal” yoga, Zumba, Walk & Talks, and theater going.
- New Lifestyle Elements – Quite a few new self-care and personal development activities are now regularly on the calendar! (massage, taking supplements, physical therapy, healthy cooking, meditation).
The list (yes, there is tracking) has 71 new items listed for 2018…maybe I need to try for 100 new things this year!
Summer Bucket List /Action Plan
My focus to SOAR this summer (linking my word of the year with my seasonal action plan and yes, some new things in the plan) was in 3 areas. More than halfway through summer, Out & About and Creativity are both “behind schedule” of the goals I set. I guess this is why I’m feeling I’m not being successful in activating the plans and achieving my goals. A review at this point is a great way to activate some new activity for August!
- Increase movement using Fit Bit tracking. I am not yet regularly hitting my daily steps nor my 5 activities per week. Specific focus for August is to get out on the SUP, walk the dog more often, and plan some hiking.
- Eat more healthy is so-so with some cooking of healthy dinners and more fruit & veggies, but I am still over-eating often with snacking or when going out. I need to also actively explore new recipes and plan on eating on the patio more often.
More Out & About- Summer Fun
- Summer road trips are still a figment of my imagination! One is planned for first weekend in August; need to plan at least one more for August.
- Two Summer Lovin Mini-Adventures with hubby happened (versus goal of 6). Since he’s participating in the friend’s things as well, do I give him credit?
- New Fun Connections with friends is going better with one event done (twilight canoe and dinner – so fun) and 3 planned and booked for August.
- Plan Iceland trip for fall needs serious attention or it will not happen.
- Continue blogging and writing – I’ve been more consistent with weekly blog posts and link-ups, but have done nothing on exploring my book publication.
- Explore Podcasts: I am doing another 21-daily meditation but have not really looked into other podcasts.
- Reinstate Artist Dates Did attempt to read Byron Katie’s book (not a fan), but have not really planned any artist dates or the memoir activity I said I would try.
Looking at goals at a midpoint, whether it’s midpoint of the year or midpoint of the season, is a good way to re-energize! Overall, I do feel like I am SOAR-ing – savoring life daily, being optimistic, activating mini-adventures and healthy life pursuits, and being resilient in my cancer recovery. There’s some stuff to keep working on, but being a work-in-progress is a good thing!
Do you set and keep track of your goals? Does a regular review help you reenergize?
Picture Credit: Pixabay