A couple of things keep going through my head this week – “start as you mean to go on” and “summer’s started”. Memorial Day and June 1st always feel like the beginning of summer, even though technically it’s not till June 21st. I’m shifting out of unpacking mode and into living mode and need to establish some of my weekly/monthly habits. I am also shifting into a planning mode which is a bit daunting… I haven’t done activity planning in 18 months!
It’s a bit odd realizing that we are not leaving here in a few weeks to head back north. That’s been the routine for the past few years – staying 4-8 weeks in Florida at a time. Now, there’s no planning needed for that shift in location. A big part of me wants to just live in the present. Be here. Establish routines here. Weekly routines. Monthly routines. Put off planning a trip away. Just be here. And so, I will listen to that voice within and not plan any (overnight) travel this summer!
To that end, here are some of the items that are on my Summer Plans:
- Intentional Connections both Near and Far: Maintain contact with far-away friends – plan something weekly with somebody. New relationship building – plan something weekly; host the book club; start new foodie group; do a craft gathering.
- Tourist in Own Town – explore new areas and shops, drum circle, mural bike tour, local nursery, local festivals (lots of new things to track!)
- Be Active – beach yoga, biking, SUP/kayaking, beach walks
- House and Garden Work – explore kitchen cabinet refresh, learn about local plants, side yard redo & portico set up
- Restart Foodie Fun – new restaurants, new recipes, local markets, fresh herbs (more new things to track)
- Finish the Move – paperwork; sorting, organizing & getting rid of more stuff
While it feels odd not to be planning a trip away, I think I need time to just be here. One of the Link Parties I connect with has the prompt this week of “nourish”. As I read that word, I felt like my focus right now is about “nourishing my soul”. My summer plans are about creating the lifestyle here, in our new location, that matches my retirement lifestyle vision. Nourishing my soul in the here and now feels right. To that end, I’ve also created a Fun Summer Activities list to inspire me.
Any thoughts on what I could add to that summer fun in the here and now?
P.S. I’ve updated my “About Me” page if you’re interested.
Picture Credit: me. The Night-blooming Cereus flower, at a spontaneous bloom-party invite acceptance (Thanks, Lisa P). Living in the now!