I am a strong believer in having a WOTY (Word of the Year) to help drive a yearly personal growth intention. I’ve added this tool into my Retirement Transition Toolbox. Some of my past year’s picks have been very helpful (see my previous post on Joy, Soar – link here). As I look ahead to my 2021 WOTY selection, my first step is to evaluate this past year’s pick.
As the pandemic progressed, I found myself moving away from my 2020 WOTY, which is Release. I moved more and more into “Putting Positive Psychology into Practice”. This shift is actually a positive psychology intent – move away from release of the negative, which will bring you to the null point, and start to create the positive. So, perhaps this was a natural shift from release?
As I relooked at my WOTY choice and what I did from my “RELEASE – 20 for 2020 Action Steps” (link here), I realized that I did release a lot. Yes, there is still work to be done, but…
- I am actively working on shifting my self-limiting beliefs into self-empowering beliefs. I’ve identified deeply held beliefs that have been holding me back and am working on shifting them with regular affirmations and awareness. I am much more aware of my Compare & Despair moments and I have noticed, there is less despair. Awareness is the key first step to making a change.
- As part of my morning journal habit, I do gratitude journaling, dream journaling, and emotions assessment. I’ve also added in the “25 Things I’m grateful for TODAY” tool for those weeks I’m spiraling down (ex. pandemic stuff, hurricane stuff, election stuff).
- I have spent more time outdoors, especially in Florida, and that will be the new habit when we complete our Big Move. In Florida I also walk more & bike, which is great for my physical health.
- I have added the color orange to my wardrobe (Sacral Chakra release); did a Reiki session; did a Feng Shui analysis on our new Florida space; follow the phases of the moon and the tides more regularly; and explored Astrology (blog link here).
- I took baths (yeah, new jet tub), am listening to classical music (at times), and am taking more pictures (sunrises, sunsets, on my walks). I am cooking new recipes and taking classes in things of interest (releasing my creativity). I completed the big photo project and got creative with photo-book crafting.
- I transitioned 95% of the care-taking of my SIL; the only thing remaining is the legal concurrence for guardianship transfer. That completion will be a big release moment.
- I am less hard on myself (still a work in progress), accepting that I am living the life I envision (most days), using my signature strengths (more than I thought), and nurturing my friendships.
So 14 of the 20 for 2020 ideas were successfully completed, even with the pandemic creating a totally different daily life rhythm. I do believe that my 2020 WOTY was a successful pick.
RELEASE so I can be the true me – active, connected, creative, contemplative.
So now I can begin to contemplate (pun intended) what my 2021 WOTY could be. I’d like it to continue to connect to my retirement lifestyle vision (active, connected, creative, contemplative) as well as link to my current focus of Putting Positive Psychology into Practice. There are (hopefully) some big things happening in 2021 (the end of the pandemic and the final move to Florida), which I would like my WOTY to reflect as well. Quite the challenge… and more to come on the selection!
Do you use a WOTY? How has it helped?
Picture Credit – Me! – with hubby at the Cincinnati Zoo Festival of Lights. Socially distancing and wearing our masks, it was so much fun to be out and about!