As a lover of lists, you know I was excited to be sent a list of 10 Things To Celebrate Your Birthday. Looking at the list, I think it would be hard to do all in one day. Perhaps that’s why some folks celebrate a birthday week? Or a birthday month!
In the past few years as I’ve gotten older, I’ve not put much focus on my birthday, feeling it was just another day. But this year, post cancer, I had a need to be more celebratory and the list certainly helped!
So how successful was I in celebrating this year?
- Drink Champagne. What a great first thing, and yes, I did. Hubby took me to dinner and a restaurant of my choice. OK, I made the reservations and he went along with me. But they gave me a complimentary glass of champagne for my birthday!
- Do Something Out of Your Comfort Zone. A number of blogging buddies are actively pursuing out-of-comfort-zone things this year. For me, yes I did one on my birthday. I shared the draft of my book with someone to read and comment/edit. A terrifying moment when I hit send! Oh and hubby “gave” me scooter for my BD, so now I need to get lessons and a license. Another big out-of-comfort zone thing in the works.
- Do Something You Always Do. This was easy…see note above about dinner out. Love me a nice dinner date, with wine. But we also went to a craft fair in the afternoon, another favorite thing to do!
- Host a Potluck. Well, this fits within the birthday month. Another out-of-my comfort zone activity, but also part of my retirement lifestyle vision. I adore dinner with friends and doing this dog-days-of-summer potluck with friends will hopefully be the first of many.
- Plan a Fabulous Trip. A work in progress because the trip will be this winter. (When I got to this point in the list, I also wondered how to do it all on the same single day!)
- Make Resolutions. Another work in progress as I am re-thinking my retirement lifestyle action plan with a completed new vision board and some personal reflection in a 21-day meditation series finishing right after my birthday.
- Reinvent Yourself. As part of my self-reflection, I’m trying to understand where I need to continue to grow and where I need to accept where I am and celebrate those elements.
- Eat Cake. It was a lemon tart with fresh cherries on top and it was scrumptious!
- Use the Freebies. I laughed at this one, but yes, I used them and bought a pair of clam-shell-pink cropped pants. Yes, pink. Just because!
- Buy yourself a gift. And yes, did this was well. At the local craft fair, a pair of Turkish towels that I certainly did not need. But one will look amazing as a wrap with those pink pants. 🙂
It was a fun birthday. I enjoyed getting all the FB Happy Birthday posts as well as the family phone calls. And, I am very grateful for being able to celebrate another birthday!
What do you do to celebrate your day (especially as you get older)?
Picture Credit: Pixabay